Well … if you like to make you own puffs … simply because you feel that yours is a cut above the rest, then go ahead and make them. After all you are also the customer and nobody is going to dispute the fact that the customer is always right.
Epok-epok or curry puffs as it is locally known is a favorite snack for most people. Despite numerous caveats about epok-epok being fattening and all, people have just taken to the puffs. Curry puffs in the morning, curry puffs in the afternoon and curry puffs in the evening.
With Ramadan just around the corner, you can make it now. Once made, the partially fried puffs can be frozen and fried again at your convenience.
Ramadan is the month of “ibadah” so don’t get chained to the the kitchen. All it takes is a little planning – and that tiresome chain can be broken. We have to take a break from the kitchen … Its time to focus on our ibadah … dear friends.
When making the puffs use the best and healthiest ingredients you can get you hands on. It may be a bit costly but you are making the puffs for yourself and family so why quibble on cost? Like I said you deserve the best even if what you are making is a humble snack.
If you are keen to try, here is my guide:
1. Put 500 gm of plain flour into a basin. Put in 80 gm of fat ( margarine and vegetable oil). With a little bit of warm water knead them into pliable dough. Then divide the dough into small balls.
2. Roll the balls to the required shape
3. Put in curried potato which you would have made before hand. For potatoes – use “Brastagi.” Nothing less. It’s $3.20 a pack. I know another brand goes for $2.00. Like I said, we are not going to quibble over cost here … a firm potato is a good potato … that’s that … hehehe …
4. Put a scoop of the spicy potato onto your rolled dough. Fold into two and twist the edges to hold the potato in.
5. Fry the puffs – partially cooked of course.
6. Pack these puffs as you wish and freeze them in your freezer.
7. Fry them again later when you want to. But in the meantime do try at least two puffs. And don’t forget that steaming mug of coffee. Relax and enjoy.
8. Commend yourself on a job well done. You have earned it.